Wednesday, September 22

My Moment... Maybe (aka Day Home Saga part III)

I may have had my Brigham Young Moment.  

Two days ago I dropped Isabella off for a trial morning at a new day home: Tammy's.  I met Tammy last Friday, and while her day home plans are not the most stellar I've seen, her home has a nice comfortable atmosphere: fun and relaxed.  Isabella took to her younger daughter right away (Tammy also has a daughter in school and a baby boy) and followed her all over the house while Tammy and I talked.  So despite Isabella's most recent reactions to being left with a stranger (ie Monika) I didn't feel much anxiety about her spending a few hours with Tammy.

Tammy is such a sweet girl.  We talked a little bit about which methods would be best to win over Isabella, but she seemed to know right away anyway.  I took the advice of my oldest sister and stayed for a little while, to kind of show Isabella that being friends with Tammy is fun.  Tammy played it cool, mostly staying in the background in a friendly way, smiling and talking to Isabella but not trying to hold her or make her do anything.

When I left, Isabella, of course, cried, but it wasn't the "you're tearing my arms off" crying that I was prepared for.  More like "hey my mommy's leaving and I don't like that, but I'll get distracted and forget about her soon".  

And, as it turns out, she did exactly that.  Well, mostly anyway.  She cried once in a while,but that may be because she's cutting three molars at once rather than a reaction to who she was with.  She even ate a little, as long as Tammy's daughter (I can't remember her name right now) was the one who fed her.  Promising, eh?

You may be asking "If Tammy is so great, why aren't you sure this is your Moment?  Why is this part III instead of the conclusion?"  Well, part of me is not sure this saga will ever be over, but mostly it's this: Tammy isn't available next week.  So I'm afraid that Isabella will just be getting comfortable with Tammy, then we'll rip her away and put her with someone else.  I don't know who that someone else is yet, so Isabella may hate her just like she hated Monika.  Perhaps after a week of this torture she will have forgotten Tammy or will just be resentful and so won't get along with Tammy any more.

I know my fears are silly.  Maybe I'm one of those moms who worries too much, or maybe it's stress carried over from the Monika days.  Whichever, or neither, I'm just glad I have such a great family.  They've been praying for me, offering support and advice, and letting me know that they love me and are thinking of me (and Isabella too, of course).  Some people may say it's just words, but it's not, not really.  They actually care, and knowing that they care helps me to make it through tough times.  Plus, they always give really great advice.  Truly, I was born into the best family ever.  

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

We're the lucky ones to have YOU in our fam!

Anonymous said...

You see what I mean? The best family. EVER.