Monday, May 23

Cake-cakes

I like to make something special for breakfast on Sundays.  You know, a break from the usual oatmeal and cold cereal.  This is the one day of the week where all three of us are together, rather than spread all over the city in our various pursuits (work, mostly).  I've been eyeing up a recipe in my quinoa cookbook for months, but I've never had all the ingredients on hand.  Yesterday I decided I didn't care and would make Pumpkin Pancakes anyway.

Pumpkin Pancakes

1 1/2 cups quinoa flour                     1 3/4 cups buttermilk/sour milk
1/4 cup packed brown sugar             1 cup pureed pumpkin
2 tsp baking powder                         2 large eggs
1 tsp baking soda                            2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp allspice                                  1/2 cup toasted pecans
1 tsp cinnamon                               whipped cream/maple syrup optional
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt

Mix together all the ingredients on the left side.  In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.  Add the wet to the dry and mix just until blended.  Cook like you would regular pancakes.  Serve with pecans and maple syrup.


Sounds pretty good, right?  Don't tell Rob (he liked the pancakes) but I didn't have any pumpkin so I used sweet potato instead.  You would never know the difference.  I also used half the amount of quinoa flour and used regular flour for the rest.  And I mixed the pecans right in with the flour because I like pecans and it's easier to eat that way.

Despite all my interference, the pancakes were delicious!  The "pumpkin" added a sweet undertone, but wasn't overwhelming.  And I loved all the nuts.  Isabella calls them "cake-cakes" and ate more than Rob and I together (that girl can eat!).

Verdict: I'm definitely going to make these again!

This is the picture from the book.  Mine didn't look this deliciously gooey.  But they were still great.
  

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm so glad you're still finding use for the quinoa cookbook.

Esther said...

Sounds like some yam pancakes I made last week. With warm peaches and pecans on top. Mine needed those yummy spices though.

Sarah said...

Mmm, peaches. :)